Thus began my search for a new church.
One year later (give or take to the date), that's how I found myself sitting in service at the Harbor Church in town, listening as Pastor Keith read and guided the congregation through Acts 2. The message sank in, convicting me of what had been secretly hidden away for some time now. But seriously?! From day ONE at Harbor I was already being hit over and over again about how I need to better serve God and bring His message to the world.
While Acts 2 focuses heavily and primarily on the Holy Spirit appearing at the Pentecost, it also highlights on the basic (and in all actuality-- simple) things each Christian can and must do. They're things we do all the time with other people, so why not do it intentionally. Through this intention we not only foster community within our own Christian community, but we also can begin to reach out into the community around us and invite others in to show them how Christians do life.
I was reminded time and again that Christians are people, individuals with their own interests and stories, who just choose to follow in the steps of Jesus. That is the only thing differentiating us from non-Christians. We are not some sort of aloof being who cannot be approached. Gosh, we even know that Jesus's followers back in his day drew more people in by coming to relationship with these people. And how? Through simple things, like sharing a meal, conversing with them, walking in life together. That is how God's kingdom grows: Christians sharing their lives with others about all the miracles God has done in their lives and through them.
And while I was reading through Luke 19:1-27 tonight, I was reminded of this. Jesus did not care if you were a tax collector, wealthy, poor, or a sinner (Luke 19: 7); he still would join this person to share his life and teach him how he needs to internally AND externally change (which he did, if you're still wondering what happens). If Jesus interacted and came in to relationship with a sinner, what is holding us back from doing the same? We should not just surround ourselves with Christians who have been saved, otherwise the kingdom of God will not grow.
While I read Luke 19, I continued to be reminded of Pastor Keith's message of the simple seven things we can take as Christians. Jesus did this, and it's as simple as going to someone's house and getting to know them so that we can share with them the things God has offered for everyone, including those shunned from and by society.
And right there, I knew. I knew that church is community through Christ. I hadn't felt it that strongly in awhile, but I have been experiencing since stepping in to this new church. Coincidence? I highly doubt it. All I know is that I am going back to this church next Sunday, the church in my community, right down the road from me. Christ is literally in my backyard.
Knowing and being reminded of this (on an almost constant basis), I know God is pushing me to reach out to others to start discussing my faith more and being in community with others. It will take time to build up to large groups, but God is pushing me to start with at least one person on a weekly basis. God knows my inner fears and hesitations, and that's usually what He likes to work with. Out of discomfort comes growth, and these growing pains will only deepen my faith and benefit God.
What is God pushing you to do? How is He asking you to help His kingdom grow?

No comments:
Post a Comment